Welcome to stepping light
Browse articles, information and destination reviews - discover new places and meet interesting people. What is Stepping Light? Find out more...
Naxi Village Home Stay
Close Shaves on the Road
The Coldest City in the World
Bai Batik Workshop
Dali and the Sleepy Fish
A Day on Inthanon
Village Behind the Mountain
Night Train to Bangalore
Moondance Resort Yangshuo
Visit other destinations and read the reviews here...
Siberia Journal - Nov. 2013
Read Paul's journal and see pictures and video of our recent trip to Siberia...
We land at Domodedovo, (АЭРОПОРТА ДОМОДЕДОВО) one of Moscow’s three main airports. Like so many other places we’ll encounter in the next few weeks it is way overheated. We’ve noticed before that there seems to be a correlation between how cold a place gets in winter and how high they like the temperature inside. If it was as hot as this in summer, most places would have the air conditioning on to cool it down. And even more astounding, almost everyone but us has big padded coats on.... READ MORE...
photo of the month
Browse photo albums... People, Food, Cable car....
Video: A Short Drive along the Yangtze
Video: Russian underground
Here are a few things we have learned that may or may not be helpful to other travelers....
- always try to learn the local greetings and how to say thank you
- just because people don't smile when they see you, it doesn't mean they are not friendly.
When staying in cheap hotels and guesthouses;
- never stay anywhere that proudly advertises clean sheets as part of their accommodation package
- for Asian "wet" bathrooms a pair of cheap plastic sandals is useful so you don't wet your socks all the time
- in Asia, hide whatever remnants of toilet paper you have each morning - if you're lucky they might dispense you a few
more meters for the day
- keep a copy of your laundry list and check you get everything back
- when leaving your room, hide large expensive items like laptops at the back of drawers or on top of wardrobes - thieves
NEVER think to look in such places
- try to get someone to bring some coffee cups the first morning then hide them somewhere to use the rest of your stay
- tip generously at the beginning and then randomly for the rest of the time